Message from Anne McCluskey, vice-chair, to the new members who’ve joined us since the start of July.
As Vice Chair for Membership, myself and Bill Gilby our Chair are pleased to welcome you to Edinburgh Northern and Leith Constituency Labour Party (CLP).
You are joining a group of circa 575 members that spreads across a large part of the city from Leith Links out to Restalrig and Lochend areas, up to the top of Leith Walk across to Warriston , Granton and Pilton, taking in Trinity and Newhaven on its way. It covers roughly 65,000 potential voters and is one of the most diverse and mobile populations in the city.
By joining the Labour Party you now have the ability to help us secure a Labour Government and to have a real voice in politics at all levels in the country from Edinburgh Council through to the Scottish Parliament and Westminster. Politics in the UK has had a very difficult week this week and I hope that by joining the Labour Party you feel, like us, that you can make a difference.
You can choose whichever level of engagement and activity suits your lifestyle and current commitments; from
- Paying your subscriptions which provide valuable campaign funds;
- Talking to your friends, family and colleagues about Labour Party policies;
- Attending any of our events locally or across the country – including the Scottish and the national Labour Party Conferences
- Attending local Constituency Labour Party ( CLP) monthly meetings, discussing political issues, local activities and contributing to party policy.
- Having a vote in who stands as our candidates at all levels in the country, or standing as a candidate yourself one day! (With the Edinburgh Council elections next year this will be one of our tasks from September onwards), through to
- Joining us on the streets; staffing our stall on a Saturday morning and/ or joining our election campaign teams in whatever way suits you .
Hopefully there will be something in that list for everyone
We will be having our next monthly CLP meeting on Thursday 28th July. Watch out for an email from our secretary Craigie Watson confirming the details. Hopefully you will be able to come along and we will be able to welcome you properly.
Lastly just a couple of things:
You can join our Facebook page : Edinburgh Northern and Leith CLP. It’s a closed group so you need to send a request to join.
You can read our web page on : www.edinburghlabournorthernandleith.org.uk
You can follow us on Twitter: @EdNandL_CLP
Our elected representatives on Edinburgh Council are
- Leith Walk: Angela Blacklock, Marion Donaldson and Nick Gardner
- Leith: Gordon Munro
- Forth: Cammy Day and Vicki Redpath
- Inverleith: Lesley Hinds
I hope you have found this useful, however, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Welcome to the Labour Party and thank you for joining us.